Onsite Wastewater Regulations and System Resources
The NSFC encourages the proper use of alternative, onsite and wastewater treatment technologies to protect public health, ensure water quality, and sustain the environment in small and rural communities. This resource was formed to educate and assist in the development and management of these systems.
If you have a technical question we can help. Call NESC toll free at (304) 293-4191. or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for technical assistance.
State Onsite Regulators Alliance and Captains of Industry Conference (SORA/COI©)
Formerly State Onsite Regulators Alliance (SORA)
- This annual conference serves as a mechanism to enhance interdisciplinary dialogue and advance knowledge of those responsible for applying quality research into engineering issues affecting public health and promoting the decentralized wastewater industry as a viable option for water infrastructure. It is a gathering of state, tribal, and U.S. territorial officials charged with regulating onsite and decentralized wastewater treatment. Hosted by NESC, the event is primarily funded by the National Research Center for Coal & Energy (NRCCE) at West Virginia University (WVU), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Rural Development Rural Utilities Service.
- Regulations Database - NESC provides electronic copies of each state's onsite wastewater regulatory documentation. Users should note that these are not official regulatory documents.
- National Summary Citations (Onsite Wastewater Regulations by State)- View a summary of each state's regulatory agency activities regarding onsite wastewater information.
- Regulatory Agencies - NESC maintains a current list of links to U.S. departments that govern state onsite wastewater system regulations.
- Wastewater Regulatory Contacts (pdf) - Contacts are listed by state and updated quarterly.
- Environmental Technology Initiative (ETI) Fact Sheets - As part of the ETI, the NSFC collected information from approximately 600 innovative wastewater technology projects and used it to create fact sheets designed to present information about suitable wastewater technology/practices for different situations.
- Onsite Technologies for Small Communities Poster - NESC provides free downloads to descriptions of various onsite, conventional, and alternative wastewater treatment and disposal technologies. Downloads are free. This poster is available to order, charges apply to hard copies only.
- Pipeline Newsletter - NESC publishes popular with small community officials, citizens, maintenance and inspection personnel, and community educators, each quarterly issue of Pipeline focuses on a single wastewater topic and presents it in an easy-to-read format.
- Septic Systems - NESC provide information and free downloads about septic systems.
EPA Free Downloads
- The free products, tools, and online resources below are provided by our funding sponsor, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These links will open new web pages.
- Decentralized (Onsite) Septic Systems -Information on various on-site wastewater technologies (including septic systems) as well as national voluntary septic system management guidelines for regulators, community and business leaders, and citizens in small communities.
- Onsite Technology Fact Sheets (Web site and pdf) -EPA has developed a series of fact sheets on alternative onsite wastewater technologies, such as aerobic treatment, recirculating sand filters, and mound systems.