HOME | news | contact | about | index | e-mail | (304) 293-4191.

Funding Sources

Federal funding sources for households

in areas recognized as Colonias--

for connecting a dwelling to drinking water and wastewater systems

Additional Funding Source Links

  Funding Sources - Main State funding sources
Federal funding sources Grants and Loans
Federal funding sources: Colonias Special Evaluation Assistance
Emergency Community Water Assistance Government Reports/Resources

Individual Water & Wastewater Grants (Program 101) for Colonias
U.S, Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development

Individual Water and Waste Water Grants (WWD) provide government funds to households residing in an area recognized as a colonia before October 1, 1989. States with colonias include Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas. The colonia must: (1) be located in a rural area and identified as a community in writing by the State or country in which it is located; (2) be designated a colonia based on criteria including lack of potable water supply, lack of adequate sewage systems, lack of decent, safe, and sanitary housing, and inadequate roads and drainage; and (3) have existed and been recognized as a colonia before October 1, 1989. The funds are designated for community drinking water and wastewater systems, or for connecting households to community drinking water or wastewater systems.